On November 3rd I have been invited by Mensajeros de La Pazhttps://mensajerosdelapaz.org/ – a non for profit organisation whose mission is to integrate most vulnerable people in our society – to participate in a great talk and debate. A great way for me to share my perspective and my ideas to promote diversity and inclusion in companies and, of course, in society.
@Federico Acaso – from Mensajeros de la Paz – and I have discussed at length about:
- The importance of promoting diversity in companies.
- Barriers to the progress of diverse talent in companies
- What can we do to accelerate the change towards inclusive environments
The importance of promoting diversity in companies.
Evidence shows that boosting D&I is a HUGE economic opportunity. According to McKinsey:
- promoting gender equality could contribute globally in 2025 +$12 trillion to GDP,
- companies with adequate female representation at managerial levels, have a 50% chance of being more profitable than those that do not have it,
- companies with ethnic and cultural diversity on their management committees are 36% + likely to have a higher operating margin.
MOST diverse companies:
- are MORE innovative and better adapt to changes
- manage to attract and retain MORE talent,
- understand better and manage to attract and retain MORE customers,
- gain access to investors and financiers who increasingly give MORE value sustainability and reputation,
- are MORE prepared to internationalize their business,
………and, ultimately, they are MORE profitable.
Although, as I always mention, more than diversity, we need an inclusive culture in which we ALL feel we belong to.
Barriers to the progress of diverse talent in the company
- Unconscious bias
- Lack of dedication to generating formal/informal support networks
- Difficulty balancing personal life with demanding positions
- Lack of identification with the values diverse talent believe the company attributes to senior management
- Absence of training in inclusive leadership
- Lack of support to promote to the next level: need of training, mentoring, coaching, sponsorship
- Little role models with diverse profiles in key positions
What can we do to accelerate change?
- Place Diversity and Inclusion as a pillar of business strategy and involve the company’s leaders at the center of this effort.
- Neutralize unconscious biases.
- Make flexibility the norm so work-life balance is not considered as an issue only concerning working mothers.
- Create a diverse pool of talent to become the generational shift in the company.
I leave you in link to the video below:
I will be happy to comment with you and share more ideas!
!! Contact me!! https://myriamalcaide.com/contacto/